IP Office Troubleshooting
Enabling Fax Machines to Dial Out Without Dialing 9
The customer's fax machines currently require that 9 is dialed to enable an outgoing fax. They want the fax system configured so that a 9 is NOT required.
I. If there are more than one fax machines that require this setup, it is more efficient to create a user restriction which defines a short code access without the 9. If there is just one fax machine, the same short code can be created just for the specific user.
Below is a sample short code to enable fax dialing without the 9:
• Short Code: ?
• Telephone Number: .
• Line Group ID: 0 (analog trunk/line)
• Feature: Dial
To create the above short code as a User Restriction and apply it to the user which has a fax machine against it:
1. Log onto Manager and open the IP Office configuration.
2. From the Configuration Tree, select User Restriction.
3. Right-click within the Manager window and select New.
• In the Name field, enter a name for this user restriction, i.e. fax dialling.
4. On the Short Code List tab, right-click and select Add.
• Configure a short code similar to the above short code.
• Click OK.
5. Click OK on the User Restrictions window.
To apply the fax dialling user restriction to a user:
1. From the Configuration Tree, select User and double-click the user which has a fax machine against it.
2. On the Restrictions field, click the drop down list and select the User Restriction previously created. Based on our example above, the user restriction is called fax dialling.
3. Click OK.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to apply the user restriction to all users that have a fax machine against it.
5. When you are ready, click to save the changes.
II. If the problem persists after you have performed ALL these troubleshooting steps, gather the following information BEFORE escalating the issue:
• A copy of the IP Office configuration will be useful before escalating to your support organization.
• The username and password of the configuration must be provided to your support organization for testing purposes.
• Any trace codes or log files generated by the System Monitor application (if available).
• Notes relating to the result of each of the verification steps performed above.
• The customer's network diagram (if applicable).
Verify that the fax in question no longer requires dialing 9.