IP Office Troubleshooting
Message Waiting Light Illuminated without Messages
The message waiting light on the telephone is illuminated even though there are no new messages remaining in the mailbox.
If the user associated with the telephone has been configured to receive message waiting indication for messages left at a Huntgroup's voicemail box, this will cause the message waiting light to be illuminated when a message is left on that Huntgroup's voicemail.
I. Check to see if the user has a message indication relationship to a Huntgroup.
1. Log onto Manager and open the IP Office configuration.
2. From the Configuration Tree, select User and double-click the user in question.
3. On the SourceNumbers tab, see if there is an H followed by a Huntgroup name, i.e. HSales, where Sales is the name of a Huntgroup.
4. If there is a configuration similar to the above example, then check that Huntgroup's mailbox for new messages. Once the new messages are processed/played, the message waiting light on the user's phone should extinguish.
II. Check that text messages have not been left on the user's telephone. If the user in question has a digital telephone, text messages can be read from the display window. If the customer's digital telephone has a menu button, check for text messages by press pressing
Menu|Menu|Msgs|Recvs. This displays the types of messages available on the phone and if any is awaiting in the mailbox. If the customer's phone does not have a Menu button, refer to the specific telephone user's guide for instructions.
III. If the problem persists after you have performed ALL these troubleshooting steps, gather the following information BEFORE escalating the issue:
• A copy of the IP Office configuration will be useful before escalating to your support organization.
• The username and password of the configuration must be provided to your support organization for testing purposes.
• Any trace codes or log files generated by the System Monitor application (if available).
• Notes relating to the result of each of the verification steps performed above.
• The customer's network diagram (if applicable).
Listen and delete all messages and verify that the message waiting light does not illuminate.