Group Call Distribution (#206)
Use this feature to assign outside lines to Hunt Groups. Doing so allows outside calls to ringdirectly into a Hunt Group instead of being answered and transferred by the receptionist. You can assign lines to Hunt Groups 1ó7. (Hunt Group 7 is used exclusively for the voice messaging system, and Hunt Group 8 is used for fax transfer and detection.)
- Each outside line can be assigned to only one Hunt Group.
- Incoming calls hunt for an available extension in a circular manner.
- If a Hunt Group that has outside lines assigned receives an outside call and all members of that Hunt Group are busy (or have Do Not Disturb on), the caller hears ringing, which continues until the call is answered.
- Use Hunt Group Extensions (#505) to assign extensions to Hunt Groups.
- If you assign lines to Hunt Group 7 for the voice messaging systemís Automated Attendant Service, you may want to adjust when the lines should ring in the group.
- If you are using a voice messaging system, you have two Group Call Distribution options: Automated Attendant Service or calls routed directly to the voice mailbox of a specific user.
Here are some useful applications for Group Call Distribution and Hunt Groups:
- Place the extensions of employees who work in a department in a Hunt Group and assign one or more outside lines to the group. This lets outside callers ring the group directly without being transferred by the receptionist. For example, a mail-order company assigns the extensions of its sales representatives to a Hunt Group and assigns a line to the group. The company then publishes the number as its customer service number so that a caller can reach a sales representative directly to place an order.
- If you install a voice messaging system, assign the system extensions associated with the
voice messaging system to Hunt Group 7. Then assign outside lines to Hunt Group 7 for
Automated Attendant Service. Callers hear a greeting and are prompted to enter digits to transfer to a specific extension or group without the assistance of the receptionist.