Line Access Restriction (#302)
Use this feature to restrict an extension from receiving and/or making outside calls on a specific
line. For example, you may want a secretary to answer calls on a manager’s line, but not to make any outgoing calls on the line; in this case you can assign the manager’s line to the secretary’s extension and restrict it to In Only.
This procedure is the most extreme way to restrict dialing. For example, an extension with a line set to In Only or No Access cannot select the line to dial out–even for numbers on the
Emergency Phone Number List (#406).
- For pooled extensions, use Pool Access Restriction (#315) to assign restrictions to all the lines assigned to a specific pool. (Pool Access Restriction overrides Line Access
Restriction.) For individual lines on pooled extensions, use Line Access Restriction.
- To prevent an extension from using a line, restrict the line even if it is not assigned to the
extension, so the line cannot be accessed by Direct Line Pickup.
- If an extension’s access to a line is set to No Access or In Only, the extension cannot place calls on that line, neither by pressing the line button, nor by using Direct Line Pickup–Idle Line.
- If an extension’s access to a line is set to No Access or Out Only, the extension cannot receive calls on that line that are ringing at other extensions, neither by pressing the line button, nor by using Direct Line Pickup–Active Line.
- Caller ID information does not appear for ringing calls on lines programmed for Out Only or No Access.
- If a line is assigned to a telephone but is restricted to No Access, the line button LEDs show calling activity; but the line cannot be used to place or receive calls.